The General Authority for Civil Aviation in Saudi Arabia has extended landing permits to Nigeria Hajj carriers from July 4 to 6.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria said this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.
NAHCON’s Assistant Director, Public Affairs Division, Fatima Usara, explained that the extension was necessitated by excessive flight cancellations and flight delays.
She said from June 10 to June 13, nine flights were cancelled.
This, according to her, was due to reasons ranging from the inability of some states pilgrims’ boards to secure Basic Travel Allowance for pilgrims, insufficient funds for Visas and unavailable PCR test results.
“It followed by 23 hours delay, 22 hours and lowest in this category are twice 10-hour delays. Only 13 flights left on schedule out of the 65 outbound flights so far witnessed from the country.”
“From Monday, July 4, the extension will commence to July 6 for one of the airlines whereas July 4 and 5 have been approved for the other airlines.
“NAHCON sought the extension to enable it to transport its remaining pilgrims into the Kingdom for 2022 Hajj. Out of the 43,008 pilgrims expected to arrive Saudi Arabia from Nigeria, 27,359, inclusive of 527 staff as well as committees and board members, under the government quota have been conveyed.
“Similarly, over 5,000 out of the 8,097 Tour Operators’ pilgrims with valid visas were moved through scheduled flights and other arrangements.”