Islam

Lagos to refund pilgrims, 1,406 Kwara Muslims prepare for hajj

The Lagos State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board announced that it would refund Hajj fares paid by intending pilgrims in 2019.

A joint statement signed by LSMPWB’s Board Secretary, Imam AbdulHakeem Kosoko and the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Prince Anofiu Olanrewaju Elegushi, confirmed the development on Wednesday.

The State Government will therefore refund intending pilgrims who are desirous of getting back their money after the recent increase in fees by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria.

Pilgrims that would be refunded include those who had already paid the initial deposit of N1.3 million since 2019 and those who are exempted from the 65 years age limit as prescribed by the Saudi Arabian authority.

The statement said, “All interested intending pilgrims are requested to write a letter of refund addressed to the Secretary, Lagos State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board and submit same between Tuesday, 10th and Friday, 13th May 2022, for processing”.

However, pilgrims were urged to note that the present situation is beyond the control of the State Government.

Meanwhile, the Executive Secretary of the Kwara State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji AbdulGaniyu Ahmed, has said that 1,406 pilgrims from the state will perform this year’s holy pilgrimage to Mecca.

AbduGaniyu, while speaking with journalists in Ilorin on Tuesday, said the intending pilgrims were selected from the 1,600 people who paid for Hajj in the state in 2020 but could not embark on the pilgrimage as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak that ravaged the world then.

He, however, reassured Muslims in the state of the board’s commitment toward the 2022 pilgrimage.

“1,600 people paid for Hajj in 2020 but could not embark on the journey due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria only gave Kwara State a slot of 1,406 for this year’s Hajj,” he said.

AbdulGaniyu stated that due to the increase in the cost of embarking on the journey, the amount had increased from N1.5 million to N2.3 million.

He urged members of the public who have paid the initial amount to balance it up for the commencement of the next line of action.

He reiterated that the portal for the payment had closed on May 7, and all who could not make up with the payment may have to wait till next year.

He disclosed that the Board did not have any new intake for this year’s Hajj due to the previous batch still on the ground.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button